21 June 2012

Birthday Cake



Today is my sister's birthday, and I wanted to surprise her with a cake.  Her favorite is Sweet Lady Jane's Triple Berry Shortcake, which is basically what you see here:  vanilla cake, fresh seasonal berries, and freshly whipped cream.  I added mascarpone cheese to the frosting, which turned out to be easier said than done; I went to three different markets before I found it.  C dubiously persisted, "Are you sure it's called mascarpone?"  He insisted it was a figment of my imagination.  Sigh.




Holden, my Sous Pastry Chef.  "It's so juicy, Mommy," he exclaimed, as he licked the cut side of the berries.  I stopped him mid-air as he was about to nestle the de-juiced ones in the frosting.  More blackberries for his belly.  Btw, they always remind me of Peter Rabbit ("But Flopsy, Mopsy and Cotton-tail had bread and milk blackberries for supper.")

I sliced blackberries (my favorite) in half for the second layer, along with raspberries.  Coarsely chopped strawberries went in the first.  The whipped cream was so delicious; Holden, uh, "cleaned" both batters and all frosting implements.




Frosting a cake is a test of perseverance; this vanilla cake was so fluffy, the frosting kept ripping patches of it away, despite the crumb layer.  I would've been happier with more frosting (because it is nigh addicting), though the recipe below did frost all of my three layers.


Mascarpone Frosting
1 Pint Heavy Cream
8 oz Mascarpone Cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

On medium speed, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
In a separate bowl, whisk mascarpone cheese and sugar until smooth.
Fold in whipped cream until combined, and use immediately.


P.S.  Consumed after dinner.  So yummy!

1 comment:

Made for You by Amy Plew said...

That looks like one delicious cake! :)